Friday, December 16, 2016
Hello once again, Halo fans and/or fellow Craters... crate fans... looters.... whatever, you get the idea. Anyways, the 3rd Halo Lootcrate just arrived on my doorstep hours ago, so I figured I would take this moment to go through it with you... but there is a prefix for this one.
The preface is this: I actually cancelled my subscription a week or two ago! I go so mad at Halo as whole, was very, VERY SALTY, over my inherent LACK OF SKILL at the game. For a few days, I wanted NOTHING to do with halo, couldn't even stand looking at at anything Halo-related, which brought up some negative feelings/thoughts about the previous crates as well. But, eventually I ended up cooling down after a few days, and decided to UN-cancel the cancellation. So, what does this mean? Well, there was a cancellation survey, and I let them know of a few of their shortcomings in my eyes, which really has altered how I'll be looking at these. I'll no longer be a "poster boy of positivity", so this will be more of a genuine critique. That said, lets get started...
... and yes, the fact that I still suck at Halo can still be rage-inducing at times!
Hola, fellow Nerds & Ninjas! Since things have been quiet (i.e. DEAD) on the hobby front lately, I figured I would take the time to share something hobby related that I recently discovered. This guy, "Atom Smasher" just showed up in my Youtube recommended videos section one day, and Ive been hooked ever since! His channel is called: "Tabletop Minions", and while I've primarily been watching his Youtube Channel, he does also have pages on facebook and twitter as well. (I'll post links again below)
Anyway, so what is this? Well, it's pretty simple: this guy (Atom) just sits in front of the camera, and discusses a specific miniatures topic for a few minutes. Pretty simple. And there is a wide range of topics. Honestly, what I like the most about it is that he seems to share a similar opinion/outlook as myself. Not, to say, my CURRENT mood/outlook, more so my general outlook on the hobby as a whole. The production quality is great, and he's very witty and entertaining, and most of all he says what HE thinks, even if it doesn't jive with the current internet trends.
Again, here are his links:
Give him a look, some of his videos are just a few minutes long, easily watchable over any breaktime!
If you yourself have a podcast/youtube/twitch channel that you run, or one that you enjoy and think I should check out, just let me know!
Until next time...
Saturday, December 3, 2016
Every year, I do a little "Gamer Year in Review", and while I usually wait until a bit later to do this type of post, I'm doing it early this year. Why? Well, to be honest, I'm fairly certain that I'm done gaming for 2016. Kinda sad, but it really sets the tone for this post overall. Usually, I'm pretty positive, talking about what my favorite games were, what my plans are (gaming wise) for the upcoming year, etc. I'll be honest, I don't have any gaming plans for 2017. I hate to say it, but gaming just MAY very well have died for me in 2016. Yeah, it's not gonna be a fun post... but on the bright side, I did finish a bunch of models! I'll probably reference last year's post as well, just to kind of compare/contrast.
Let's start on the positive note, here's a total list of all the models painted in 2016:
Friday, December 2, 2016
Thursday, October 27, 2016
The 2nd Halo legendary Crate from Lootcrate unexpectedly arrived on my doorstep, let's take a look at what box #2 contains... by the way, it is ODST themed. (If you didn't already know)
Tuesday, October 25, 2016
Well, my family vacation has come and gone... and word of advice, 8 days is a bit too long to spend in Disney! (But that is a story for another time). Despite the week long interruption, I still had a few things go on in geek-land.
Wednesday, October 5, 2016
Friday, September 30, 2016
Back in August, I had decided to take a chance on ordering a 3D-Printed version of my Halo 5 Spartan from Sandboxr. They had 3 sizes to choose from: small, medium, or large, and based off of a few reviews plus from a simple dollars-to-inches ratio, I decided that the medium sized figure would be the best bang for my buck! Normally, it would be $50 + S&H, but during the Halo Championship Series (HCS) they had a special $10 off promo. Anyway, after 2 months of waiting, I emailed them at one point, the hold-up was due to a company merger, it finally arrived on my doorstep!
Monday, September 19, 2016
Monday, September 12, 2016
After finishing up my daughter's Stormcast stuff, I set off on my Khorne half of the starter box. I'm still working on the Bloodstoker and Bloodreavers, but I have made a bit of progress on the other stuff. Just as with my previous post, I'll be going in the order that I've completed them...
Monday, September 5, 2016
|A little over 1,000 pts painted so far!|
Friday, August 26, 2016
As some of you may recall, I bought into the HALO Lootcrate subscription, a few months ago, mere minutes of the offer going live, and the day finally came that it arrived on my front door! This is my 1st lootcrate, so I really didn't know what to expect, and below if my full unboxing and review of the contents. If you also picked up a subscription, and don't want the contents spoiled, I'd just skip this post!
Anyway, on with the review...
Tuesday, August 23, 2016
|Destiny - My current ship: The Waning Star|
Tuesday, August 16, 2016
I made a fun, little Fire Deck in the Pokemon TCG Online, that was intially meant just be able to do both the 12 KO and 7 Evolution Daily Challenges at the same time, and I've actually seen a bit of success as well!
As with a lot of my decks, I'm constantly tweaking and changing things here and there between matches, and this deck is no exception. I'm sure you'd make your own changes to it as well. The concept is pretty simple: pitch a lot of fire energy to the discard, in order to be able to instantly add it onto one of your EXs with Blacksmith. Add to that the normal "1 energy per turn" and the extra from the Elixir, and you can see how this can easily start hitting for 100+ damage on turn 2! Of course, this wont work in standard for much longer. Delphox is in there not only to let you fulfill the "Evo Challenge" but his ability to draw cards and add energy is also nice as well. His attack is also pretty nice, and has saved me in a few games when someone thinks they can shut down my deck by nullifying the EXs.
So, there you have it! If you are looking for a fun, simple, deck to complete a few challenges with in versus mode, give this one a go!
- WuhSawBe -
Friday, August 12, 2016
Recently, I became inspired to start up an Age of Sigmar project, and this time to help insure that I'd actually be able to get in a few games, I enlisted the aid my daughter! She was drawn towards the Stormcast, Lizardmen, and Stormcast Extremis. Seeing as I wished to build up my own collection of Khorne models, I decided to pick up a 2nd starter box for us to share. One of the nice things too, is that she takes after me in the fact that she refuses to play with unpainted models just as I do. So, I've been working pretty hard, and in just under two weeks, I managed to get the entire Stormcast half of the starter fully painted!
The idea was pretty simple: she dictated the whole scheme, told me what colors to put and where, all I did was execute. Below is the outcome of the last two weeks worth of work. I'm posting them in the order in which they were completed:
Wednesday, August 3, 2016
Lately, I've become really inconsistent with my "This Geek's Week" posts, so I figured I would try a slightly different approach, in these new posts I'm calling: "What's New With WuhSawBe?" Similar context, but a different delivery. Let me know in the comments if you liked reading this new type of post, preferred the old style, or even just don't care at all! *ahem* Anyway, on with the post!
What's New With WuhSawBe?
Up until a week or two ago, I had been in a bit of a "gamer funk" once again, the kind where you are not all that into gaming, not playing anything (outside of halo), and not working on hobby stuff due to not having any miniatures left to paint. At the time, I had no desire to much of anything geek related either. One of the local gaming stores ran the "Seasons of War" AOS campaign, and while I stopped by to check it out, I had little desire to play in it. (Partially because I didn't have anywhere near the 2,000 points they want to play it)
Tuesday, July 12, 2016
Recently, my daughter has really enjoyed playing AVP: The Hunt Begins with me, and at the request of one of the regular visitors to my blog, I decided to record the game and do a little bit of an AAR/Batt-rep. I recently discovered that we had been making a few rules mistakes, which I hopefully have hammered out. That said, there were still a few rules hiccups here and there... Namely, I always seem to forget the modifiers for the marines/aliens that get granted by tiles. Just keep that in mind while you read, I've done the best I could to get the rules down, given the slightly confusing layout of the rulebook. Also note, that the game comes with faction-specific strategy cards, meant to add further bonuses and modifiers, but seeing as my opponent is 6 years old, and reading isn't her strongest suite, we've not been using them in our games. Anyway, on with the report!
So, here's our set up. My daughter (playing as the Aliens) placed 16 hidden PING tokens on the board, with 8 in the Hibernation Chamber (or "Hatchery" as I like to think of it) and 8 in the Escape Pod. She had 5 Stalkers and 11 infants total. I placed my 5 marines on the bridge. I had 1 smart gun, 1 flamethrower, 2 with pulse rifles and 1 with a pulse rifle and scanner. We flipped objective cards next. Her objective was to destroy the bridge (or maybe just the comms?) and we marked the room with an objective token, while I had to drag a bomb down to the "hatchery". This was also one of the first hang ups in the game, my objective literally read "Target tile. Deliver" and after reading through the missions, and coming up short on what exactly that meant, I decided to just play it out as I mentioned. Honestly, I've only had the objective comes into play once, so I figured it wouldn't matter anyway. Also note, we started with a hatch located to the left of the bridge, which we took out at the start of the game. Reason being, I could pop out of the hath, and start firing upon 1/2 her army right away, which didn't seem very fun, plus it would give her a straight path to her objective, which also didn't seem very fun either! With all that finished, we started our game!
- Worked a bit more on the "scouts with no purpose"...
- Played a game of the Pokemon TCG with my daughter...
- Played a game of AVP vs my daughter. She ended up winning, playing as the Aliens, while I played as the Marines. It was a pretty intense game.
- On Xbox, I've been playing Halo 5.
- On my phone, I downloaded the Rick & Morty game. It's basically Pokemon meets Rick & Morty! I've also downloaded and have been playing Pokemon GO! Finally, I've played a little Pokemon Shuffle too...
Until next time...
Monday, July 4, 2016
- Still no real miniatures to work on. I raided my bits box, and hobbled together 3 scouts that I'm gonna do up in a preheresy World Eaters scheme...
- With my daughter, We played a few modified games of Halo: Bang! We also played a round of the Pokemon TCG, and a round of Hey, that's my fish! We also played a round of the AVP boardgame too, and discovered I've been messing up how activation works the whole the time. (I did 1 side activates all do theirs, then the other side. Instead of alternating single models)
- Played some games of ASHES, and got WRECKED! I suck so hard at that game...
|I had a good night... all my games ended like this!|
- On the Xbox, I've been playing a bunch of Halo 5. I've really been enjoying the latest game mode, Warzone Firefight. I've gotten a ton of gold req packs out of it, and am loving the grunt goblin mech and piloting the wasp! Played a bit of Alien: Isolation too. I also downloaded The Crew, which is a fun little racing game.
- On my phone, I've been playing a bit of Hearthstone, but it has slowed down considerably.
- On the DS, I've done bit of Wonder Trading in Pokemon ORAS. I got some pretty nice Pokemon out of it...
- I ordered the Halo Lootcrate, and I'm pretty stoked... Even though it won't ship until August/September.
Until Next time,
Wednesday, June 22, 2016
- I scrounged up some bits, enough for a Space Marine scout, and decided to experiment painting armor using inks. I kind of like it, though highlighting is a bit of an issue...
-Assembled the preconstructed decks for ashes, and have been playing solo games to work out the kinks and start figuring out some sense of strategy. After a few games with each deck, I've started to create my own...
- Hung out with some friends with some friends, and played 3 more games of ASHES, losing all 3! Still, so much fun!
- Went back to the drawing board, and made 3 new ASHES decks...
- I ordered the 2 ASHES decks I was missing, Brennan & Rin, which are coming from Canada since I could find them nowhere in the US...
- Played some of the Halo Wars 2 beta, and I really enjoyed. Normally, RTS games are not my thing, but since I like all things Halo, I did enjoy it. In a way, it feels like a computerized version of a miniatures game... Kind of what I expect Halo: Ground Command to sort of feel like. I ended up placing Platinum.
- Played some more Hearthstone on my phone... I still shake my head at about 1/2 the cards I see played, and everyday I question why I still play....
- Also on my phone, I've played a bit of MtG Duels and Pokemon Shuffle...
- Played a bit of Heroes of the Storm, just to try something different. Still not a MOBA kind of guy...
- Played all of 3 games of World of Tanks... That how many games it took for me to remember why I DON'T play World of Tanks!
Books and such:
- Finished "The Templar Conspiracy", and now I'm back in the mood for some Sci-fi! I picked up a Halo novel, "The Thursday War".
Until Next time,
Thursday, June 16, 2016
I managed to finish up the last of my AVP stuff from the main box set over the weekend. Overall, I'm pleased with the models, how they turned out, and the game as a whole. I don't do Kickstarter for a number of reasons, and purchased my copy from a store, which could be part of reason why I have a general positive outlook of everything, and the woes of KS haven't mired my opinion of the game and/or manufacturer. *ahem* But, I've digressed... Anyway, here is the contents off the AVP game, all fully painted. I'll present them in the order I completed them in, so up first are the Alien Stalkers...
|What kind of monster would do this to a dog?|
Tuesday, June 14, 2016
I've been hearing a lot of praise about Plaid Hat Games' Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn, and after seeing it being played by a handful of gents in my LGS, I decided to pick it up. For those that may not know, Ashes is an expandable card game system, similar in vein to FFG's highly popular LCGs. Basically, you have total control of deckbuilding just like you would in say, Magic: The Gathering or Pokemon, BUT without the "blind buy" booster pack model. Meaning, everyone will access to fixed card sets, no need to chase expensive, ultra rare cards! In Ashes, you play as a magic-wielding Phoenixborn, summoner allies and casting spells, while ducking it out with the opponent's Phoenixborn! First to knockout the opposing caster wins! Here's my unboxing and component review of Ashes. I've also watched PHG's "how to play" video as well as actually read the rules myself, so while I haven't played, I'll speak a little bit about the rules themselves. Anyway, on with the review!
Monday, June 13, 2016
|LOVE Smogon's new logo....|
|Weiss Schwarz HAPPENED!|
- Worked more on my AVP stuff. I've managed to finish up the Marines,the Predators, and the Alien Drones. This completes all my miniatures currently on my desk. Not sure what I'll get next...
- Played 3 games of the AVP boardgame...
- Played a game of Weiss Schwarz, SAO vs Persona...
- Picked up Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn and for my daughter, she picked up "Hey, that's MY Fish!". We Played a game of it...
|Wish more games ended like this...|
- Played some PTCGO.
- On the Xbox, I've played some Halo 5. I also downloaded "Goat Simulator".... No really, I did! It cracks my daughter up!
- On the DS, I've played a little bit of Smash Bro's.
- I've re-downloaded Hearthstone on my phone, played a bunch games, and after about 2 days, I've already remembered why I didn't like it... I keep playing it, for now, although I don't know why...
- Also on my phone, I've played some Pokemon Shuffle and Magic The Gathering...
- I've been watching a bit of the Halo Pro League matches, cheering on the Renegades...
Until Next Time,
Thursday, June 2, 2016
|Love me some SAO...|
- Worked a wee bit on the Marines from the AVP game...
- Played a small game of Battletech: Alpha Strike with my daughter...
- Played a game of Krosmaster Arena with my daughter...
- Picked up a few more Pokemon cards. I've been playing a ton, given the recent regionals and all! I'm also working on some new decks and reworking some old ones...
- I picked up a Blastoise EX box, and pulled a few Eeveelutions, a shiny Yveltal and DCE. A few days later, I picked up a Charizard EX box and Fate Collide Elite Trainer box, but didn't get anything good... only pulled an Audino Ex.
- Played a bunch of PTCGO...
- Played some Disney Infinity with my daughter. That game is buggy, and kind of meh, so I can see why Disney is getting out of that type of games after the next release...
- Played some Pokemon ORAS on the DS, beating the elite four for the 2nd time...
- Watched the rest of SAO II, and I really enjoyed it. I've got 4 new Naruto episodes to get caught up on, then I think I'm gonna watch Disgaea...
Until Next Time,
Sunday, May 29, 2016
This weekend saw me attending my 1st Pokemon TCG event in over a year, and my 2nd Pokemon TCG event ever. Going into it, I really had no idea what to expect, as you can tell, I don't have a lot of experience with "competitive Pokemon" though I do have over 230 games of the TCG under my belt, and countless more in the online version. Once settling on a deck, (Vileplume/Vespiquen) I begin playing, testing, and prepping like crazy, both with physical cards and online as well. Here's the deck I ended up bringing to Regionals:
Tuesday, May 24, 2016
|Que up the battle music!|
|About sums it up...|
That said, I *think* I've decided on a deck to play, and have been playing with it as much as possible, even though they are just general games as I have no idea what the expanded meta will look like, nor do I have the cards to actually build and test expanded decks. Honestly, if I can win a single match, I'll be happy!
|This should make me easy to spot!|
The plan is to as much tweeting and posting at the actual regionals as I can, so if you have twitter, or are interested in hearing my results as I go, please check out the link on the right side of blog or CLICK HERE. I also plan to post a full decklist, and a bit of a write-up on the whole event afterwards.
If you are interested in the event, details for it can be found HERE on the KC Pokemon FB page. If by some miracle you are reading this, and attending, look for the tattooed guy with the Koffing Backpack, and say HI!
Wish me luck!
Monday, May 23, 2016
|WIP shot of the Marines from the AVP Game...|
- Worked on the AVP Marines, and did a bit of work on bases for the Preds. The pace has slowed for working on them, and now that my daughter is out of school for the summer, I'm losing a bit of hobby time...
- Picked up the Darkrai Mythical Box for myself, and the latest Zygarde starter deck for my daughter. I also picked her up the mega Blaziken box for her so she would have her own Playmat, and a couple other packs and singles. Looks like I/we may be diving back into the Pokemon TCG.
- Played a few games of the Pokemon TCG with my daughter. We (or I should say, I) have done a bit of deck tweaking too...
- I decided to unload a bunch of my extra board games and such...
- Made it to the Pokemon league, and Played several games. I've also decided to enter in the upcoming Pokemon TCG Regionals.
|Managed to sell most of these...|
- Played some more of the The Division on Xbox. Still just doing the daily, hard missions, and it's getting pretty boring to be honest. I also played a bit of the Wolf Among Us, and Alien: Isolation. I even played a bit of Halo5, though I'm still comically terrible at the game... I wish I could fix it! =(
- Played more Pokemon shuffle on my phone...
- Played some PTCGO, I started out mostly just the daily stuff for coins, but lately I've been playing some real games...
- Played some Pokemon ORAS, Super Mystery Dungeon, and Smash Brothers on the DS...
- I also watched a bit of the streams from the German Pokemon Nationals, and some from a recent regionals as well...
Until Next time,
Monday, May 9, 2016
- Worked more on painting my AVP stuff. It was a bit of struggle, but eventually I figured out a scheme for painting the bases that I was happy with. So far, I've managed to get the alien stalkers done. I've now started working on the Marines next...
- Got to play 2 games of Weiss Schwarz vs a friend on Tabletop Day! My first actual games! I've also decided to start up a Facebook group to try and find local players...
- Tinkered around with my SAO Weiss Schwarz deck a bit. I also went and picked up an SAO II trial deck, and a couple of booster packs. I also picked up another Persona TD, and built a new deck around a few of the cards.
- Played some solo, test games of Weiss Schwarz of SAO vs SAO II
- Played some more of The Division on Xbox, and I've gotten the Tenebrae DMR.
- Played some Pokemon Omega Ruby on the DS.
- Played some Pokemon Shuffle on my phone.
- I'm still having a hard time getting into the 30k novel: "Betrayer". It is entertaining, but for some odd reason, it's a book I can easily put down. I think maybe I've just not been in a Sci-fi mood lately. I was debating on reading a Tom Clancy novel, but instead picked up "The Templar Conspiracy" by Paul Christopher on a bit of a whim...
Until Next Time,
Friday, April 29, 2016
|The Infant Aliens from Prodos Games' AVP game...|
|The Marines from AVP...|
- My copy of the AVP boardgame arrived after just 3 days, and I've dove right into making the custom bases and assembling the figures. I'm currently working on the 5x Alien Stalkers...
- Played a game of Legendary Encounters (Alien), and man, it did NOT go well for my character! I made it to the 2nd objective, then had an alien make it to the combat zone, followed by pulling a hazard, that sent 2 more aliens into the CZ as well... She did not survive the rest of the round! The next 2 games were even worse, as I took a chestburster on turn 2 in one game, and shared a similar fate, taking another chestburster partway through the 3rd game too! I finally managed to make it all the way to the Final Enemy in the 4th game, but he ended up doing me in. Still, such a fun time!
- Played some Pokemon TCG with my daughter...
- I've been trying to find some local Weiss Schwarz players, but have been having no luck thus far. I think playing this game is just not meant to be...
- I've been trying to find some local Weiss Schwarz players, but have been having no luck thus far. I think playing this game is just not meant to be...
- On the Xbox, I've played a bit of The Division. I've started to gear out my character, but I'm still not as hyped as I was. Since I play solo, I'm missing out on a lot the game! Perfect example being that I've had to pass up yellow gear drops in the DZ, simply because I knew, as a solo player, I'd never be able to extract it and I didn't feel like giving free stuff to the a-holes in that game!
- Also on Xbox, I downloaded The Wolf Among Us as one of this month's free games. It's pretty interesting, and I like the comic book style!
- On my phone, I've played a little bit of Pokemon Shuffle, and MTG Duels.
- To get my WWII game fix, and War Thunder freezing up every time I load, I downloaded World of Tanks. Played a few rounds of it, but still, not my favorite...
- Played several rounds of PTCGO. They've really ramped up the speed since I've been away, and I'm not sure how I feel about it...
- Finished up my book on the "Year of Mercy", and have gone back to reading the 30k novel, "Betrayer". (Not feelin' it though)
As always. be sure to check my twitter account on the right every now and then, as I often post my WIP pics on there first, giving twitter followers a first look at my new stuff! (and I do tweet daily) Hopefully the AVP game will re-motivate my hobby side! I'm also currently looking for a card game to actively play and put my resources into, but who knows if that will work out or not...
Until next time,