Thursday, June 16, 2016

AVP Boardgame - The Finished Models...



I managed to finish up the last of my AVP stuff from the main box set over the weekend.  Overall, I'm pleased with the models, how they turned out, and the game as a whole.  I don't do Kickstarter for a number of reasons, and purchased my copy from a store, which could be part of reason why I have a general positive outlook of everything, and the woes of KS haven't mired my opinion of the game and/or manufacturer.  *ahem* But, I've digressed... Anyway, here is the contents off the AVP game, all fully painted.  I'll present them in the order I completed them in, so up first are the Alien Stalkers...

What kind of monster would do this to a dog?
I've based these guys off the Xenomorph seen in Aliens 3.  These were the first of the models I painted for AVP, and so were sort of the test models for a few techniques, mainly the bases, OSL, and the alien domes.  I remember struggling with the bases, trying to come up with a scheme that I liked, and eventually I settled on the one you see.  I also decided to carry the blue glow from the lighting onto the models themselves for a bit of color.  I also added some GW Ard Coat onto the domes to make them really shine.

Somebody wake up Hicks...
Marines took forever to paint...

After the stalkers, I worked on the Marines.  These guys definitely took the longest, as there were lots of layers and lots of colors.  I think I may have painted them in the wrong order of pants, armor, straps, then skin, which may have also slowed the process down.  For these guys, I used a few decals from FoW to serve as armor markings.

Want Some candy?
The "Stippling" markings...
 
Up next, came the Predators.  These guys were my daughter's favorites.  For these guys, I looked at some references to get a sense of their colors/patterns.  I wanted to make them each a little more unique, I decided to not only paint their skin in different tones, but also the armor as well.  One is basic silver, one is darker, and the 3rd is more of a bronze color.  The webbing/netting on the preds proved to be a bit of a pain, and I ended up having to go back in after feeling that the netting was a little too sloppy, in order to try and clean em up a bit.  I can live with the results in the end...

A bonus, 11th Alien... SCORE!
 
Highlights are there, I promise!
Finally, I did the Drones/Infant Aliens.  I ended up with an extra one, so there is actually 11.  For these guys, I did the basic black scheme that you often see for the Aliens.  There were some issues where the primer didn't fully get into all the cracks, so I had to go over them a few times to get them fully covered.  The black basecoat really was the most time consuming part, after the basecoat thing went rather quickly!  It may be hard to see, but I did some highlights in a both silver and dark grey so they wouldn't look too flat.  Carrying over the blue glow also gives them a bit of extra color over all, so I'm hoping they don't look too bland/basic.  I also did the Ard coat method on the domes as well...

... And there you have it!  Again, all in all, I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.  I've enjoyed the AVP game enough that I'm open to picking up more models down the road, and my daughter has personally requested I pick up more predators for her.  (A "whole army of them" is what she specifically requests!)

Thanks for checking out my blog!
- WuhSawBe -

2 comments:

  1. Those all look ace mate! Not a fan of the marine sculpts as a whole as their proportions look a little strange from here, but the Aliens and Predators are top notch and your painting throughout really brings them to life!

    ReplyDelete