Tuesday, October 27, 2015
While I'm still waiting for the bulk of my Frostgrave Warband to arrive, I went ahead and worked on just a few things while taking a break from painting KDM stuff. My idea was to combine Frostgrave with my love of the Pathfinder universe, and thus the idea for a tribe of Snow Goblins was born! Pathfinder Goblins have this really unique look to them, and are so full of character, I knew I wanted a Goblin Elementalist (goblins like to blow stuff up!) and I lucked out when I read on the Pathfinder Wiki about the existence of these snow variants. That said, I don't think I'll be stopping there in terms of warbands, there is potential for an actual Pathfinder Warband, as well as the idea for a Cheliax Summoner warband, decked out in Hellknights! But, I digress. Before I get too far ahead of myself talking about grandiose plans, let me show you what little bit I have completed thus far...
Monday, October 26, 2015
|Poor Khorgorath, they really wanted him GONE!|
- I finished up the rest of the KDM monsters: the hand, the king's man, and the Phoenix.
- Finished up the Living Statues and my Goblin Wizard/apprentice for Frostgrave.
- I split an Age of Sigmar box with a buddy, and I took the Khorne stuff. I only paid $37 for all those minis, so it was a pretty good deal imo. So, I've been assembling those, and have started a bit of painting...
- Worked a wee bit on my Semoventes for FoW...
- Rolled up to the game store, and sat down to play a game of KDM, only to find I left the minis in my other case at home! Epic fail!
- Played a game of Age of Sigmar, Khorne vs Bretonnians. It was fun, and a clear victory for the Bretonnians...
- On the app side, I've beenplaying a bit of the Warhammer Quest, Drop Assault, and Space Wolf on my iPhone...
- Player a few rounds of War Thunder. I had a bad game in the BF-109's, a good game playing Italian Air, and a so-so game with German Tanks...
Until Next Time,
Thursday, October 22, 2015
Recently, I made a bit of hobby progress on the Kingdom Death Monster front, and managed to finish up the rest of monsters from the core box. As with the previous KDM models, they all painted up rather quickly, a perfect example was being up to finish up the Phoenix over just two night's work! Anyway, on with the miniatures!
First up, is the Watcher. He was a bit of a paint to assemble in some spots for sure! I also did not see any detailed concept art to base him off of, so I kind of just "winged it" with more earthy tones of browns and grays. I went that route based on couple of things, namely the "vines" popping out everywhere gave me an "earthy" feeling, as well as the fact it seemed he was clad in rags of various cloth. I also went a bit more "painterly" with him as well. All in all, I'm pleased with how he turned out...
Monday, October 19, 2015
|A quick shot of what is on my painting desk at the moment...|
- I tried to fix the "stickiness" of the Reaper Bones model, but with no luck. I ended up buying a new Warchanter and a Goblin Commando for my Frostgrave Wizard/Apprentice. **Lesson learned, DO NOT prime bones models!**
- Worked more on the last of my KDM monsters, finishing up the Watcher. I also picked up some rare earth magnets to magnetize the various parts of my survivors.
- I attempted to make some Frostgrave terrain, but none of it seemed to really pan out except the living statues for one of the scenarios. I think I'm just going to have to buy terrain instead of scratch-build it.
- Played a 3 player game of saga, welsh, vs Franks, vs Teutonic Knights. It went pretty much how every 3 player game goes... My Knights engaged heavily with the welsh, and neither of us could defeat the franks, which ended up winning.
- Ran Sajan through the "Undead Uprising" scenario for the Pathfinder ACG. (Perfect scenarios for the month of October!). I almost bit the dust on the "Crow Bait" scenario, as I failed vs the Villain 3 times in a row, but it was the Skinsaw Man that finally did him in...
- Played a family game of Elder Sign.
- More Pathfinder ACG, this time with the Magus, Seltyiel. He's a pretty interesting character to play! Thus far, he's gone through the "Brigandoom!" and "Poison Pill" Scenarios. I've also given Darago, the Necromancer a try...
Video Games: (& Apps)
- I got on a bit of a GW kick (it happens) and downloaded a lot of the various free GW games and apps. I must say, I'm pretty impressed with the Age of Sigmar app! Being able to quickly thumb through the main rules, plus having all the warscrolls and unit stats on your phone is pretty handy. I do wish that it was a little better organized, to make navigation easier, but all in all, it's not bad, and would be helpful if you are like me, and just want to see what the fuss is about!
That about does it for me this week...
Monday, October 12, 2015
|The inspiration for my Pathfinder/Frostgrave Warband...|
- I've been working on my KDM stuff. I finished up the 4 survivors, screaming antelope, and the butcher so far.
- Picked up a Reaper Bones Pathfinder Goblin Warchanter and ordered 2x blisters of warriors. My plan is to combine my love of Pathfinder with Frostgrave in the form of a tribe of Snow Goblins. Thus, I've been working a bit on painting the goblin up, though I hit a bit of a snag! For some reason, none of the paint sticks, it just rubs off at the slightest touch, yet the whole model feels sticky or tacky. If I can't fix it, I may give all the bones stuff to my daughter, and go with metal models instead...
- Played a game of Krosmaster Arena with my daughter.
- Ran Sajan through the "Trouble in Sandpoint", "Approach to Thistletop", and "Thistletop Delve" scenario, to finish off the "burnt offerings" adventure 1 in the Pathfinder ACG.
- Played a few games of War Thunder US/German Tanks.
- After watching the twitch stream of Star Wars Battlefront, I've decided I really want to buy a PS4! (Destiny also looks nifty). I've never been that great at console FPS games, but I figured I should start brushing up on my aim, and played a bit of the old Killzone3.
- I finished the Frostgrave short stories: "Tales From The Frozen City".
Thursday, October 8, 2015
Since receiving my copy of KDM, I've been slowly plugging away at the minis within, and have made a bit of progress in the last week or two! I figured that now, with a few models completed, I'd have enough to warrant an update post. One of things I have noticed as a whole about the minis, is that with even while rushing, and with the minimalist of effort as I have been doing, they paint up rather quickly, and (imo) with some pretty decent results! I'll present these in the order they were completed in, starting with the first monster, the White Lion....
Monday, October 5, 2015
|My Frostgrave tokens. I tried to create an individual narrative within each one, with an overarching theme...|
- Finished up my Frostgrave treasure tokens.
|So, this happened...|
- Worked on my KDM stuff. I've been doing a ton of assembly, all the monster are assembled now, and a little bit of painting. I've finished up the White Lion.
- Played a few games of KDM. My survivors kicked the White Lion's butt during the prologue. They also held their own on the first hunt, but didn't come out of that entirely unscathed. My settlement is coming along...
- Played a few rounds of War Thunder German & US tanks.
- Played some Guild Wars 2 PvP on my engineer...
Don't forget, you can follow Nerds vs Ninjas on Twitter as well @NerdsvsNinjas . I tweet pretty regularly, and I keep things a bit lighter... not to mention you can keep up with my Soccer/Football antics on there as well!