Friday, September 30, 2016

Unboxing/Review SandboxR 3d-Printed Spartan





Back in August, I had decided to take a chance on ordering a 3D-Printed version of my Halo 5 Spartan from Sandboxr.  They had 3 sizes to choose from: small, medium, or large, and based off of a few reviews plus from a simple dollars-to-inches ratio, I decided that the medium sized figure would be the best bang for my buck!  Normally, it would be $50 + S&H, but during the Halo Championship Series (HCS) they had a special $10 off promo.  Anyway, after 2 months of waiting, I emailed them at one point, the hold-up was due to a company merger, it finally arrived on my doorstep!

Popping open the box, there was the expected foam block, wrapped in plastic, surrounded by peanuts.  On top of the block was a code for a req pack in halo 5 and some unboxing instructions.... And of course, I followed the instructions to the letter!

Here you can see me going through the 10 layers or so of foam.  The bottom sections are marked, but it is a good idea to number the top sections as you go, if you ever need to repack it for moving or whatnot.

And here he is, all unpacked!  One of my main concerns was the strange texture created by printing and color process.  It almost looks fuzzy, which is the best way I can describe it.  From reviews, another reason I went with the medium size is that others have stated this fuzzy effect is less noticeable on the medium.  I can't say for sure, though. As you can see, there is still load of detail within, and the painting is pretty good.  No color bleeding, etc.  It has Halo 5 on the front, and my "WuhSawBe" gamer tag on the back.  The base was supposed to have the HCS logo on it, but I'm not gonna gripe about it not being on there, I was happy enough to get it at $10 off.

And here it is, in its new home on my Halo shelf!  Quick story about why I like the Hydra pose so much:  I was playing an Arena game, slayer mode, which is first team to 50 kills.  It started out rough, I was like 1-5, and we were down by 15 or so.  As what often happens, once a team goes down by a significant amount, someone on the losing side leaves, and someone on our team did.  From there, it was like a flip of a switch!  The Hydra rocket launcher on this map was being camped, I killed the camper, grabbed a fresh hydra and went to town.  I was killing left and right that game after that guy left!  Thought the game, I grabbed the Hydra at least 1 or 2 more times, and each time proceeded to wipe the opposing team with it.  By the end of the game, I ended with a final score of 18-7.  That's right, after that guy left, I went on something like a 17 kills killing spree, only dying once or twice afterwards.  So, clearly THAT GUY was the problem!  I even ended the game with an epic assassination! Now, every time I look at it, I'll remember that match.  (And the moral is, don't leave a match like an A-hole when your side is losing)


So, was it worth getting?  I think so, yes, for some $50 is expensive, but when start to look at the cost of a video game, of tabletop miniatures, heck, even of just going out to dinner, you realize $50 isn't really all that much!  And look at what I got out of it.  Not only did I get a statue that shows my Spartan as he appeared in the game, all blue, full soldier armor, same pose and everything, even with my gamertag.  Not only did I get that, but I also have something that does end up stirring up a memory, which adds a sentimental value.  I'm actually pretty bad at Halo, but when I look at the statue on the shelf, I can remember and say: "well, I'm not ALWAYS bad at halo..."  So yeah, I think it was worth it!

As always, thanks for reading!  Until next time!
- WuhSawBe -

No comments:

Post a Comment