Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Plast Craft Infinity Terrain Review...




My latest Plast Craft terrain order arrived from MiniatureMarket the other day, and after how successful the last Medieval Building went, I figured I would do another review on the infinity bourak terrain set.  I'm going to reference a lot from that earlier post, so if you have not managed to read, you find it helpful to go back and do so.

So, without further ado, let's get started!

Just like last time, everything arrived well ahead of schedule, which was great, because I was all out of hobby projects!  I forgot to take pictures of the large box everything came in, but it was all stacked up as you saw inside, surrounded by large packing bubbles to keep things from shuffling around.  Unlike with the Medieval Building before, these all came individually boxed as I had seen in other reviews.  I decided to start with the Planetary Observatory for a number of reasons: first, because I had two of them, and also because it seemed like it would be the most complex to assemble!


Here you can see the front of the box, and flipping it over, we have the directions on the back.  A quick note on the directions, they are only so-so.  The pieces are numbered, but some are so similar, that it is easy to still get them mixed up and confused.  Sometimes, the diagrams can be a bit difficult to understand in regards which direction to glue certain pieces.  More on that a bit later...


The outside of the box is a sleeve, and inside the white box, you can see all the various pieces.  There is black cardboard pieces to place over the Windows, resin pieces that seem to resemble lights to me, there are some loose pieces, and some on sheets.  I mentioned earlier that some of the cuts on the medieval building could be difficult to punch out, but as I predicted, the cuts on these pieces are much nicer, and everything punches out easily.
 
Overall, the material is the same kind of plasticard, pvc, foam core, kinda stuff... Somewhere between foam core and the kind of plastic used in credit cards.  Once more, I've included a basic GW square base to use as a reference for gauging the material's thickness.  Also, one of the nice features is that there are TONS of details etched directly into the pieces, none of it was painted on trickery, and no pieces outside of what came in the box were needed.


Assembly was a bit tougher than I anticipated.  I started out on the wrong foot, as I completely glued the first pieces going the wrong direction, which really affected how well the piece went together as a whole.    You can see it in one of the corner pieces, where I had to pull the apart, and I never really could get them to fit back seamlessly. I also ended up with some of the angles being off, or askew in a few places.  Full disclosure, you can totally tell on the inside, where I had to aggressively cut one side just to get it in, while the other corner wouldn't touch and line up properly.

A couple of quick tips.  First one is obvious, but take your time!  The medieval building could be built in one sitting, this time around, it will NOT be that case with these.  Also, tape and/or rubber bands will be your friend!  One trick I did to hold things together was to use scotch tape to hold parts of the terrain together while it dried.  In some cases, rubber bands will work as well.





Eventually, it should all come together!  Overall, despite being a little bit frustrating at times, I'm pleased with how it turned out.  It still feels really solid as well, so I'm not worried about it breaking or falling apart during gaming.  Despite a few of the assembly issues I ran into, I doubt they'll be all that noticeable on the tabletop, and won't ruin the immersion in the game.  To put it simply, I'd put the medieval building I did earlier at a "skill level 1" as everything went together really easily.  This kit, I'd put at a "skill level 3", due to sometimes the directions being unclear, and the complexity of the model overall.  Some of the models in the bourak range were easier than others, but they all seem to have similar features including curved pieces and lots of little trim pieces.  If I were to speculate, I imagine that some of the other infinity terrain, other than the bourak line... the boxier, cube-like stuff would be much easier to assemble.

Paint wise, I'm planning to assemble all the terrain and paint them all at one time, so I cannot really comment on how easily it paints up at this time.  Seeing the similarities between these pieces and the medieval building, I imagine they will paint up just the same.  The question will be though, how much of a challenge painting all the little interiors will be.  I'll probably speak more on how painting went in a future post...


Overall, I'm still impressed with the material, and impressed with the Plast Craft line as a whole.  Good, impressive, AFFORDABLE terrain.  I'd happily buy more, and who knows, I probably will end up picking up more pieces once I determine my favorites, and which pieces I need more of in my games!

Once again, thanks for viewing!
-WuhSawBe-

3 comments:

  1. Wait, I thought you were all fully painted!? That's a bare metal infinity figure!

    Like the buildings and am happy to see Miniature Market's prices and shipping are very affordable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I just picked those guys up... But only AFTER I had finished everything else. As you said, if I went too long without any models to paint, then the world would end!

      Delete