Thursday, November 30, 2017

#WIPWednesday - WH40k Aeldari WIP



I often post pics on Twitter under the hashtag "WIPWednesday" along with a lot of other hobbyists on there, so I figured I would also post a few WIP shots on here as well.  Sort of as a way to keep everyone up to date...

Recently, I decided to return to the hobby via Warhammer 40,000, mostly because I really enjoyed the models from a pure hobby standpoint.  I also wanted to do things a bit differently this time around, to focus more of my attention on the hobby/painting/modeling aspect, to really step out of my "comfort zone", and try my hand at different techniques. 

** Bear in mind, these are very "Work In Progress" and are nowhere near being completed. **





From here, I decided to dive into the bottom portion of the Fire Prism...


Much like I had done in the past, I painted the lights and shadows, as they naturally fell onto the model... only this time, using much thinner paints, to point that it felt like painting in watercolor!  Layer upon layer, of water-thin paint.  I must admit, I was very skeptical while working, and to an extent, I still am, but I'm also pleased with the progress.


My favorite bit has to be the shadow I painted, which was originally cast by the tiny fin, on the top left.  It served as my light source marker for when I lit/unlit the model.  I'd know the model was lit from a consistent angle whenever I'd match and lineup the shadow it cast, to the shadow I painted.  Just kind of neat to see.  I'm also pleased with how the nose turned out, just below the driver.


Ah, it feels good to be excited about the hobby again!



Alas, as I said, this is far from done!  I still need to not only do the same process with the orange color, which is just basecoated at the moment, but all the black portions as well... utilizing a lot of greys/blues.  From there, I'll have all the details to work on including the pilot, cockpit, and all, yes ALL the gemstones scattered  allover the tank.  Many, many more hours to go, and that's just on the bottom portion of the Fire Prism... I'm still at the basecoat stage for the top portion!

Until Next Time,
-WuhSawBe-

2 comments:

  1. That's a nice even coat of orange. Looks very rich, so those layers really worked mate. I like the Grey/orange scheme - if all the squads look as effective this will be a nice looking army.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The scheme is of the minor craftworld: Yme-Loc. (So I can’t take credit the scheme itself). I put a poll up in a couple of places to help me decide a craftworld, and the people chose Yme-Loc! The orange itself is just a basecoat at the moment, it will get a similar treatment of shadows/highlights and mids soon... hopefully I don’t botch it at this stage! :p

      Delete